The bold styling of the 4R Tractors provides an attractive and functional appearance similar to that of the larger agricultural tractors. Benefits of this styling include:
- Easy tractor family identification
- Updated fixed grille and side panel hood design allows for optimum sealing of the cooling compartment
- Front grille slides up to an integrated maintenance position for easy battery access
- Easily removable cowl, allowing for serviceability access
- Wraparound-style halogen headlights
- Premium integrated automotive style headlight bezels
- Bold graphics
- Aggressively sloped hood design, giving a softer, smoother look and providing improved visibility
- Hybrid (4066M and 4066R) exhaust in base for cab tractors allows for clear operator visibility and safety
- At low speed and when tractor is in a filter cleaning process, the exhaust will be routed through vertical exhaust outlet. In all other cases, the exhaust will be routed through the downward exhaust outlet.
- This ensures minimal heat impact to operator
The result gives the tractor a distinctive appearance and feel.
NOTE: If the tractor is equipped with an optional field-installed vertical exhaust, the exhaust pipe must be removed before opening and closing the hood of the tractor.
The Yanmar diesel engine has a high-torque reserve that provides plenty of power under heavy load.
This 4-cylinder engine features lower levels of exhaust emissions and reduced noise levels.
The engine meets all current emission requirements for Stage IIIB (IT4) (4049R) and Stage IV (FT4) (4066R) emission standards.
(ISO), 97/68/EC engine hp / kw
ECE-R24 engine hp / kw
49 / 36.2
46 / 33.5
65 / 48.5
63 / 46.6
The common rail system (CRS) on the 4066M and 4066R optimizes fuel economy and reduces operating costs*. High-pressure injection atomizes fuel into finer particles which burn more completely. It results in improved fuel economy and lower cost of operation. (4049M and 4049R comes with direct diesel injection)
The electronic control unit (ECU 4066 M/R) provides optimum fuel control and accuracy. ECU monitors and controls the engine. It continuously monitors engine conditions and adjusts the fuel delivery accordingly to ensure optimum performance and emissions.
DPF cleaning (4066 M/R only)
Depending on the load that the tractor is under, as well as ambient temperature, humidity, and engine speed, the DPF may build up with particulate matter, thus requiring cleaning. Filter cleaning is determined by one of three conditions:
- A prescribed time-based estimation of needed filter cleaning
- DOC/DPF pressure sensors
- A particulate matter buildup estimation based on load conditions
Once one of the three conditions has been met, filter cleaning will occur.
There are three different types of filter cleaning processes:
- Passive filter cleaning
- Active filter cleaning
- Parked filter cleaning
Passive filter cleaning
Passive filter cleaning occurs naturally when the engine is generating enough heat to oxidize particulate matter. This automatic process occurs continuously during normal operating conditions. No tractor icons or symbols appear on the display during passive filter cleaning.
NOTE: Passive filter cleaning requires no operator involvement, and there is no interruption to tractor operation.
Active filter cleaning
If conditions (temperature, load, or speed) for passive filter cleaning cannot be achieved, then PM is removed using active filter cleaner.
To achieve the required conditions, exhaust temperature management (ETM) manages the initiation and duration of active filter cleaning. ETM can adjust numerous engine parameters and/or inject a small quantity of fuel into the exhaust stream for a short duration. The fuel turns to vapor and chemically reacts with the catalysts in the DOC to create heat to oxidize PM.
It is important to note that at no time is the fuel in the DOC/DPF ignited, and there is no flame within the DOC/DPF.
Like passive filter cleaning, active filter cleaning requires no operator involvement, and there is no interruption to tractor operation.
Parked filter cleaning
In some instances where passive and active filter cleaning have not fully cleaned the PM from the system, a parked filter cleaning may need to take place. Most likely, the only time a parked filter cleaning will need to occur is when automatic filter cleaning has been disabled for an extended period of time and multiple warnings to engage filter cleaning were ignored or if the tractor has been used during light load conditions. Additionally, when the automatic filter cleaning process has been deliberately interrupted multiple times, or if active filter cleaning has failed numerous times due to a failed component, a parked filter cleaning may be requested. In these rare instances the operator will have to park the tractor and start the filter cleaning process.
The parked filter cleaning process needs to be activated based on usage and operation of the tractor. The process will take approximately 30 minutes. See operator’s manual for more details.
This system constantly monitors the soot level of the tractor, making sure the tractor is always in peak performance condition. This ensures high performance at all times.
NOTE: Number of hours since last regeneration and soot level percentage viewable on LCD display.
Key features of the engine are:
- Lower rated speed for 540 rpm power take-off (PTO) operation means better fuel economy, less noise and vibration, and longer overall engine life
- Cast-in-block cylinder design for good cooling and long life
- Hydraulic lifters are quieter and require no adjustment
- Heavy-duty crankshaft provides more bearing surface area for added durability
- CRS optimizes fuel economy, lowering the cost of operation (4066M/R)
- ECU provides optimum control and accuracy (4066 M/R)
- Direct fuel injection (4049M/R)
- Improves starting
- Injects fuel directly on top of pistons for more efficient combustion
- Develops more horsepower per gallon of fuel
- Glow plugs (cold starting aid)
- Engine oil cooler, cools engine oil for longer engine life
- Key start and shutoff eliminates fuel shutoff knob
- Electric solenoid shuts fuel supply off immediately when key is turned off
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits operator to check coolant level without removing radiator cap
- Sealed radiator compartment keeps trash and debris on outside of hood
- Dry-type air cleaner with safety element and electronic air service indicator
- Electronic air restriction indicator alerts operator when air filter servicing is required
- Dual-element design for added engine protection
- Easy to service
- Standard hybrid exhaust (4066 M/R)
- Standard downward exhaust (4049 M/R)
- Discharges fumes away from the operator, reducing engine noise
- Improves operator visibility when using a loader or front implement
- Optional vertical exhaust
Yanmar is a trademark of Yanmar Company Limited.
The tractor is available with a three-range electronic hydrostatic (eHydro) transmission.
- Fluid under pressure transmits engine power to the drive wheels using a pump and motor
- Functions both as a clutch and transmission
- Provides high torque for startup
- Reduces powertrain shock loads
Sauer-Danfoss® supplies both the pump and motor. This ensures that the components are matched to each other, providing maximum efficiency.
The electronic hydrostatic transmission is ideally suited for jobs where productivity is a must, such as loader or mower applications.
Twin Touch™ foot controls allow the operator to select both directions of travel and speed with a touch of the toe.
Key features of the eHydro transmission:
- Infinitely variable ground speeds, in each range, allow the operator to match the speed of the tractor to the job.
- No clutching for fast and easy direction changes
- Twin Touch foot pedals for quick and easy forward/reverse operation
- Cruise control is standard equipment
- Cruise control switch is located on the right-hand console for easy access
- Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged, which allows for precise setting of speed
Sauer-Danfoss eHydro transmission is used for reliable operation. Durability features include:
- Large forged trunnion shaft with larger support bearings that reduce vibration and noise.
- Center section made from ductile iron (much stronger than grey iron used in many competitive transmissions).
- Transmission oil cooler cools transmission oil for longer transmission life.
Safety features of the eHydro transmission include:
- The tractor will start with one or both foot pedals depressed, but it will not move until both pedals first return to neutral
- Operator presence - the tractor will come to a stop if the operator leaves the seat but will not shut off unless the power take-off (PTO) is also running
Key John Deere advantage
John Deere's Twin Touch foot controls offer several key advantages over competitive hydro model tractors.
- Some competitive hydrostatic tractors use a treadle pedal (toe-heel) design foot control for operation of the hydro
- Requires the operator to use both toe and heel to change direction, resulting in increased operator fatigue
Integrated eHydro features
The eHydro convenience controls have been integrated into a single module. Combining features such as SpeedMatch™ LoadMatch™, MotionMatch™ eThrottle™ (eThrottle not available on the 4049R) and automotive style cruise control pulls the maximum efficiency out of the eHydro transmission tractors. All of these features are standard on the 4R models, and deliver customers an easier and more comfortable experience.
Press button to active/deactivate eThrottle. When eThrottle is activated, depression of the travel pedal increases engine RPM and tractor speed.
|Press button to active/deactivate LoadMatch. When LoadMatch is activated, engine will not stall during heavy load applications.|
|Press button to activate/deactivate SpeedMatch. When SpeedMatch is activated, operator is able to set the desired maximum travel speed.|
|Press button to activate/deactivate cruise control. When cruise control is activated, operator is able to set cruise speed.|
|Press button to set cruise speed, or to decrease cruise/set max speed.|
|Press button to resume set cruise speed, or to increase cruise/set max speed.|
|MotionMatch - longer accelerate and decelerate distances.|
|MotionMatch - shorter accelerate and decelerate distances.|
Press a button to activate/deactivate eThrottle™. When eThrottle is activated, depression of travel pedal increases engine rpm and tractor speed simultaneously. This provides the operator with comfort and convenience as well as fuel economy.
Automotive-style cruise control
An automotive-style cruise control is standard equipment on the 4R Series Tractors. Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged and is located on the right-hand operator console.
- Maintains desired forward speed without pressure on the foot pedal
- When activated, the operator is able to set cruise speed
- Use the SET/- button to set cruise speed, or to decrease cruise/max speed
- Use the RES/+ button to set cruise speed, or to increase cruise/max speed
- A speed sensor also allows the tractor to maintain preset speed driving up and down hills
- To disengage the cruise control, either:
- Apply pressure to the brakes
- Disengage cruise control button
- Briefly depress the reverse travel pedal
LoadMatch™ power management system
LoadMatch is a standard feature on the 4R Series Tractors.
If torque requirements increase significantly, the transmission will reduce the tractor's drive speed to compensate for the increased load on the transmission, maximizing torque to drive wheels and minimizing stalls.
Controls automatically adjust LoadMatch compensation depending on the tractor’s application. PTO applications require less engine speed fluctuation, therefore adjusting the amount of droop depending on PTO speed. This adjustment increases efficiency and optimizes engine speed and torque output based on tractor application.
While typically left on, LoadMatch can be turned off with the right-hand console controls.
The MotionMatch, standard on the 4R Series Tractors, is located on the right-hand console. It offers seven settings for adjusting the rollout or decelerating when the pedal is released.
Longer accelerate and decelerate distances.
Shorter accelerate and decelerate distances.
SpeedMatch, standard on the 4R Series Tractors, further enhances the eHydro cruise control functions by allowing the operator to preset maximum speed. Once this feature is engaged, the operator must stroke the travel pedal fully to meet the operator’s preset speed and press the Set button to lock the speed. From there, the operator can use the automotive-style cruise controls to adjust speed. This function will improve accuracy and safety, particularly at lower travel speed applications.
Rotary tilling or spraying applications are examples of where SpeedMatch can be applied. SpeedMatch will work in both the forward and reverse set speeds.
NOTE: Automotive-style cruise control and SpeedMatch can be used in conjunction with LoadMatch to maximize productivity.
Sauer-Danfoss is a trademark of Sauer-Danfoss Incorporated.
John Deere ComfortGard cab tractors are the most comfortable, quiet, and easy-to-use cab tractors available. This premium solution was developed using extensive customer research and validation, tools, and some of the most advanced design techniques available.
The following John Deere ComfortGard cab tractor models are available:
- 4049R eHydro™
- 4066R eHydro
Cab tractors are designed for those who demand superior performance:
- Large-property owners
- Commercial operators
- Governmental agencies
- Golf courses
Whether using a loader to move dirt or remove snow or doing a variety of other tasks like mowing, front implement work (such as snow removal), tilling, rotary cutting, or light hay work, the cab tractors have the versatility and muscle to get the job done, all while protecting the operator from the elements.
Designed and built by John Deere
Certified to the highest safety standards in the industry
Fingertip controls and an automotive-like fit and finish
Operators are sure to appreciate what this cab has to offer – beginning with an isolated cab. These cabs are designed with robust mounting points integrated into the rollover protective structure (ROPS) with a unique offset mounting design that provides an ultra-quiet ride.
A 4-post ROPS design, carefully laid-out interior, and fuel tank located under the left rear side of the operator's platform provide a full 360 degrees of visibility:
Operators will enjoy a commanding view no matter what task is being performed.
The raised header bar design allows operators – whether short or tall – to see the loader bucket or pallet forks through virtually the full range of operation.
Operator fatigue caused by awkward bending is reduced, leading to an increase in overall productivity.
- Ample headroom and curved glass on all four sides provide a spacious interior and give operators the feel of a large-tractor cab.
Operators are well-protected from the elements with a high-performance climate-control system providing heating and air conditioning.
The climate-control system makes any task more enjoyable whether on a frigid winter day or a hot summer day.
The cab is tightly sealed to help reduce exposure to dust and allergens.
A standard high-efficiency clean-air filter keeps even the smallest dust and allergen particles out.
Improved HVAC system with larger capacity condenser cools the cab faster in a hot climate.
Deluxe air-suspension seat
An air-ride seat is standard on the 4R Cab Tractor. This seat is designed to provide an air cushion for vertical-seat travel which provides maximum operator comfort in any terrain.
- Push the button at the base of the seat to pump up the seat. Pull the button to deflate the seat.
- The seat slides fore-aft with a lever on the right-hand side of the seat.
- The seat back reclines with the lever in the lower-left corner of the seat cushion.
NOTE: The deluxe two-piece seat top may be ordered through Parts.
Key benefits include:
- Maximum-ride comfort and quality, thus minimizing operator fatigue
- Dampens lower frequency vibration better than mechanical suspensions
- Increased operator weight capacity of 150 kg
- Closeout boot for enhanced appearance
The base lighting package for cab tractors includes:
- Two wide-angle halogen headlights
- Light equipment fulfills EEC homologation requirements. (NOTE: EEC road homologation requirements not applicable for Australia/New Zealand).
- Two roof-mounted, adjustable halogen forward work lights, which illuminate the work area in low-light conditions
- Two taillights integrated into the fenders
- Three-position (on/off/auto) interior dome light
Optional lighting includes:
- Dual roof-mounted adjustable rear work lights Rotating beacon light (field-installed kit only for cab tractors)
Cab safety features
ROPS – certified to the highest industry standards for maximum operator protection
Operator presence system
Engine shuts down if the operator leaves the seat when the any power take-off (PTO) is engaged
Tractor must have the park brake fully set for stationary PTO work
Right-side emergency exit
Tempered safety glass in case of breakage
Roof-mounted warning lights/turn signals for road transport – two front and two rear
Two fender-mounted taillights
Cab comfort features
Several features are integrated into the design of the cab that deliver superior operator comfort and visibility:
- Ultra-quiet interior
- Superior cooling performance
- 4-post ROPS with curved glass for 360-degree visibility and spacious interior
- High-performance climate-control system for maximum operator comfort
- Raised header bar for maximum loader visibility
- Right-hand control center with the most frequently used controls at the operator's fingertips
- Left-hand automotive-style park brake
- Dash-mounted four-wheel drive (4WD) engagement, so there is no awkward bending
- Standard tilt steering
- Improved shift range linkage for ease in operation
- Flat unobstructed foot platform
- Standard air suspension seat, providing ultimate comfort and reduced operator fatigue
- Inside rearview mirror for rear visibility
- Dual exterior rearview mirrors for added rear visibility
- Ergonomically placed integrated loader joystick control for maximum comfort during operation
- Interior dome light with on, door, and off positions for illumination in low-light conditions
- Radio ready – pre wired with receiver and speakers.
- Standard sun visor to block unwanted sunlight
- Creature comforts like:
- Dual cup holders
- 12-V power supply
- Cell phone storage
- Hitch pin storage
- Miscellaneous storage
- Operator's manual holder
- Integrated handle for convenient support for entering and exiting
- Left-side step for convenient entrance and exit
Cab operating features
- Pre-wired for optional accessories like radio, horn, rear work lights, electric hydraulic diverter, third electrohydraulic selective control valve (SCV), dual rear SCV, rear wiper/washer, beacon light, and cigarette lighter
- Integrated warning lights/turn signals and taillights, protected from trees and branches
- Integrated roof-mounted antenna, protected from potential damage from trees and branches
- Dual roof-mounted forward work lights for optimum forward visibility at night
- Standard two-speed front windshield wiper to keep the front glass clear
- Standard rear wiper on the deluxe cab keeps the rear glass clear (standard on the 4066R Deluxe Cab model.)
- Optional front fenders to protect the front cab glass from mud and debris
- Optional rear fender extensions to help protect the doors from mud and debris
- High-impact polymer fenders, dent resistant and painted to an automotive-like finish
- Rear glass that swings out 70 degrees for ventilation
- Easy access to route and mount the controller or monitor through the rear window removable plug and mounting bosses on the side post
- Large, 49-L (13-gal.) fuel tank for longer operation without refueling
- Left-rear fender fuel fill with large opening for easy refueling
- Fuel tank located under the left side of the operator's station for maximum rear visibility
Safety is designed into all 4M and 4R Series Tractors.
- Operator presence system ensures the operator is in the seat to run the tractor
- If the operator leaves the seat when front or rear power take-off (PTO) is engaged, the engine shuts down.
- For stationary PTO work, the tractor must be in neutral and the park brake fully set.
- The rollover protective structure (ROPS) is designed for operation safety
- Reflective ROPS strips for better tractor visibility
- Key switch interlock prevents bypass starting
- Visual PTO warning light alerts operator when rear PTO is running
- Placing the transmission in neutral and setting the park brake allows operator to run rear PTO safely when off the tractor seat
- Turn signal and flashing warning lights operate according to ASAE S279.10 standard
- Taillights for road transport
- Slow moving vehicle (SMV) sign for road transport
Hitch assist (ground positioning)
The hitch assist feature allows the operator to creep the tractor backward or forward while standing behind the tractor. Engaging and operation includes the following steps:
- Ensure hitch assist switch is in off position (A below)
- Engage the park brake
- Select A range
- Set to low throttle
- Ensure power take-off (PTO) is off
- Operator must be in the tractor’s seat
- Activate the hitch assist switch
- If successful, flashers will trigger
- If not, the missing interlock will be displayed on the LCD screen
- Once flashers are triggered, if the operator leaves the seat, the display will beep indicating that the hitch assist is in remote mode
- Operator moves to back of the tractor, start motion of the tractor using the enable button (B below) and corresponding direction button (C below)
- Push and hold both buttons continuously as long as motion is desired
- Audible alarm will sound indicating motion of the tractor
Auxiliary 3-point hitch control
The auxiliary 3-point hitch control on the left-hand fender allows the operator to raise or lower the hitch while standing on the ground behind the tractor.
Pairing the auxiliary 3-point hitch control with hitch assist, changing implements has never been easier. Both features are in base equipment for 4R Series eHydro™ transmission models.
Regular service and maintenance are essential to the performance, productivity, and longevity of the tractor.
- Easy access to regular service points minimizes service time.
- Easily removable cowl and side panels, improved hood design, and integrated maintenance position on the grille provide easy accessibility for routine maintenance.
- Tractors are equipped with extensive onboard self-diagnostic capabilities and are fully compatible with John Deere’s exclusive Service ADVISOR™ system.
- Daily service requirements are minimal and simple to accomplish. Most service interval requirements can be performed with a basic understanding of procedures and common tools.
- Improved cost of ownership
- Hydraulic oil service interval changed from 400 to 1200 hours (or 3 years) when using Hy-Gard™ products
All items in the daily service schedule can be performed without the use of tools:
- Engine oil, hydraulic oil, coolant level, and the water separator can be conveniently accessed
- The engine can be easily accessed by simply raising the hood for more periodic maintenance checks
- A single-point latch mechanism and self-contained leash ensure easy hood opening and closure
NOTE: Always refer to the operator’s manual for complete maintenance and service recommendations.
- Updated performance tracking system accurately monitors key tractor systems and functions:
- Service ADVISOR™, diagnostic control center, that provides system status to the operator and allows easy access to John Deere technicians for diagnostics
- Digital speedometer
- Tractor hour meter
- Power take-off (PTO) hour meter
- Low fuel level warning light
- Regeneration tracking (4066R)
- Fuel gauge
- Integrated automotive style lighting controls
- Large, easy-to-read dials providing the engine rpm, fuel level, and engine temperature at a glance
- Maintenance-free, light-emitting diode (LED) indicators that illuminate for the air filter restriction indicator, alternator, engine pre-heat (glow plugs), positive four-wheel drive (4WD) engagement, oil pressure, PTO engagement, park brake engagement, turn signal/warning lights, and cruise control
- Starter protection circuit that protects the starter against grinding
- Backlighting for excellent low-light visibility
- Cruise control indicator light
To the operator's right:
- 3-point hitch lever
- Rear PTO switch
- Selective control valve (SCV) loader joystick
- Third SCV control lever (optional)
- Right-hand console with cruise control switch as well as LoadMatch™, MotionMatch™ and SpeedMatch™ switches
- Optional field installed kits/switches
- A large cup holder is molded into the right-hand fender
To the operator's left:
- Range shift lever
- 4WD engagement lever
- Automotive-style park brake
- Differential lock pedal
- A toolbox is molded into the left-hand fender for quick and easy access to either tools or the operator's manual